It’s pretty hard for a dyed-in-the-wool stoner to get tired of smoking bud. But sometimes you want to expand your horizons and try something new. That’s where butane extraction comes in.
Butane hash oil, also known as BHO, is a form of concentrated marijuana with super-potent THC levels. It’s made via a process called “BHO extraction.” But what is this, and how could you use it to make BHO?
First, you should know that BHO is made by stripping resin from marijuana bud. This resin, rich in THC, is smoked using a so-called “oil rig” (a special glass pipe) or dabbed on a joint or smouldering bowl. This experience is known as “dabbing.”
THC extraction is a relatively simple process, but it needs to be said that it can also be very dangerous. The process involves butane, a highly explosive gas. News stories about potheads exploding their homes while making BHO have grown increasingly common in recent years.
BHO extraction involves several steps:
- First, gather your supplies: at least a quarter ounce of pot, a grinder, at least two canisters of liquid butane, a Pyrex glass dish, a double boiler, razor blades, parchment paper, and a “BHO extractor” (a length of PVC piping, capped at both ends, with a single hole at the top and several holes at the bottom). A paper filter is placed inside the bottom cap.
- Grind up the desired amount of weed. Use a fine grind, but don’t turn your pot into powder. If you’ve never done a BHO extraction, you might want to start with a quarter ounce.
- Next, put the weed inside your butane extraction tube. Shake the extractor lightly to settle the pot but don’t pack it. You want the butane to saturate every bit of marijuana, so it needs to be fairly loose inside the tube.
- Now insert the nozzle of a butane canister into the single hole at the top of the BHO extractor. Spray butane into the canister. A greenish-brown resin will ooze through the filter at the bottom of the extractor. Let this drop into the glass dish.
- Fill the bottom of the double boiler with water and bring it to a boil. Then place the Pyrex dish on the top part of the boiler. Leave the water at a boil for at least an hour until all the liquid butane has boiled off. You’ll know this part of the BHO extraction process is done when there are no more bubbles in the remaining resin.
- Next, scrape the sticky resin from the dish using razor blades. Transfer the oil to small pieces of parchment paper, then fold those pieces with the oil inside. This is your final product, butane hash oil.
- Lastly, let the oil cool and then, when it’s hard, move it to a non-stick BHO container.
And there you have it: Those are the steps to THC extraction. Done right, you can produce hash oil that delivers a powerful, long-lasting high. Enjoy, but above all – be safe!